Through the many Schechter Parents Association (S.P.A.) volunteer opportunities, parents can further support their children while getting to know Kehillat Schechter. The S.P.A. encourages parents to participate in any way they can. A few hours of parents’ time, effort and talents makes a difference. Click here for the volunteer form.
There are volunteer opportunities throughout the year, from assisting with the coordination of fundraisers to weekly Challah order distribution. Please review the volunteer opportunities by clicking on the links below.
Fall/Winter Volunteer Committees
Welcome Back Brunch – August Event
- Committee members assist with decorating, planning, set-up and running of the Welcome Back Brunch event.
Totally Kosher Rib Burn Off – September Event
- Committee members assist with coordinating the volunteers, vendors, rib teams, games, prize table, food (all aspects of this fantastic day)
- All members of Kehillat Schechter are asked to volunteer
- Volunteers work 1-2 hour shifts during the annual event
Sukkot Picnic – October Event
- Committee members work to plan a dinner, music and entertainment for a this family-friendly event in the Schechter sukkah
Schechter Shabbat – November Event
- Committee members coordinate and match families to share a special shabbat evening with Schechter families and help prepare/copy materials for universal shabbat in people’s homes
Scholastic Book Fair – November Event
- Committee members work to set up, tear down the bookshelves and exhibits
- Committee members assist students with purchasing of books
Father and Son Basketball Game – January Event (on a Sunday)
- Committee members assist with this annual opportunity for fathers to enjoy some fun with their sons
- Committee members coordinate teams and provide a healthy snack for all participants
Parent Education Night – February Event
- Committee members coordinate speakers, prepare resource handouts and healthy snack for event
Mishloach Manot – March Event
- Committee co-chairs maintain and track all orders and process delivery routes and donation cards
- Committee members assist with packing, class distribution of bags, deliver bags to community members
Purim Gala – March Event
- Committee co-chairs oversee and coordinate all details of this community-wide, fundraising event
- Committee member can be responsible for food, decorations, silent auction, entertainment
Science Day – March Event
- Committee members contact all visiting vendors finding speakers organize on science day elementary students
Spring Volunteer Committees
Mother/Daughter Art Event – April Event
- Committee members coordinate this annual opportunity for mothers to enjoy some fun with their daughters
Schechter Connector Ad Sales – Flexible hours throughout spring/summer with concentration of effort in summer
- Committee members assist with soliciting ad space in school directory
- Committee members also assist with coordination of creative materials
Year-Round Volunteer Committees
These committees have flexible schedules throughout the year unless otherwise noted. Classroom volunteer opportunities exist and will be announced by teachers as needed.
- Committee members assist with weekly Challah orders coordinated solely by the Parent Association.
- Annual Fund (September – December): Volunteers help secure financial support from people in the Schechter and broader communities through direct solicitation or dialathons.
- Parent Partnership (March – June): Volunteers help solicit financial support from Schechter parents.
- Special Events (year-round, every 3 years): Volunteers help plan, organize, , solicit support of and present a special major fundraising event every three years.
- One or two parents per grade level assist in the classrooms as needed
- Committee members assist with welcoming new families, facilitating communication, and other grade related responsibilities.
Public Relations/Shavuon Assistance
- Committee members assist with gathering and writing articles, photographing school events, coordinating mailings, and other related work.
- Committee members assist with publicizing and coordinating the various shopping rewards programs including Tibor’s, Giant Eagle, Heinen’s, General Mills, Box Tops, etc.
- Committee members assist Schechter administration with scheduling speakers who would be of interest to parents and relevant to student curriculum.
Staff Appreciation – May Event
- Committee members assist with this opportunity to show appreciation to the wonderful Schechter faculty and staff
- Committee members prepare food for staff during the back to school and end of year luncheons (August and June)
- Committee members organize and distribute teacher gift program (December and June)
- Committe members are responsible for staff appreciation week